Notes on Storyboard.

I have to post this as my students able to practice this and secondly, my future clients able to know how much time we spend on doing something creative. Most of the time, relationships can get sour when we name our price, then the haggling process ( price - bargain ) to ensure both parties work along fine.

True, that my fees can be expensive, but its the time is invested upon any creative work. So most of my time, i will ask my students to practice on quantifying their time and skills when they got freelance gig. Its very annoying when people complement and deliver this classic line -

" why is it expensive?"

 
 
Pricing your services

Most education institutions don't prepare the students how to market themselves, manage expectations, deliverables and quote their services. Hell, 7-11 staffs or KFC workers are paid minimum of average RM4 - 5 bucks per hour.  Last time i busted my ass in KFC in 1994 till 1995 is RM1.80 per hour. 

Everything can be quantified, most of the time, my graduating students will lament to me that they are under-paid, pissed off and how disorganized the job is....i replied to them back - "so next time, if you guys think it's cheap, dont take it. Its better for you guys to be at peace rather than dealing with someone's shit "

Most of the time, during assessment gigs, i will asked the soon to be graduating kids, how much is this work? They will reply " i dont know"




Last month, my pal got a directing gig, mind you, he's been doing tons of video work before ( in fact he's a photographer ), he convinced thee client to get storyboarding service. Best is - the client doesnt know nuts and yet keep pushing him - cutting the costs down until he blew his top off. Finally he called me and told me that the job is greenlighted. 

Hell and Back 

Best part is - i did the storyboard without a fucking script. So i have to figure out how to treat the material. I have discussed with my pal - that we are tired dealing with these sort of gigs, where we need to do everything and trying hard to convince clients. There are times where i prefer dealing with students than clients. 

You see students dont know anything - so they went to a school to learn something. Clients dont know what they want. After they are given options, they give their own options. 

 
You see - what im trying to highlight here is - we know the price of everything, but most of the time people forgot how to be thoughtful.If you guys dont know anything ( the process involving creativity - just ASK nicely will yea ), just bring your EGO down, best of all - shatter it. That is the reason you guys asked us for our services.
 
Anyway enough ranting, sharing you guys few visuals. I haven't seen the rough cut yet - but hey, hope it's all good. Anyway thanks Peejoy for keeping the tradition and discipline alive. Most "directors" or "producers" here are so talented and genius - they green-lit shooting without any storyboard or worst shooting script.








This note is dedicated to all my long suffering pals in education, creative and client servicing lines. I know. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balai Seni Negara's Treasures

The Final Lesson by Syed Ahmad Jamal

Woke Shit