Tobacco Leaves in Kelantan

"Andy, share with me something new,i need new ideas " - asked Najib. Najib is my former USM Faculty of Fine Arts dean, my mentor and now one of my regular collaborators. For a 64 year old, his mind works fast and he always strive for something new and radical. Providing him something new always is the fun challenge. Typical old school - he will provoke and find out ways how to bring the very best out of you.

with Hasnul and Najib's Sari Chempaka, his pride and joy
for the past 2 years, he heads Balai Seni Lukis Negara ( our fine art institutions ) We always will trade ideas on how to spur and expanding the limitation and the scope of the arts.  

Give me some time to figure something out - i replied to him, voila after tinkering and handpicked few of my best students who digs animation - Yi Ling, Priska and Roi Rou, we discussed few angles and came out with animated gifs based on Balai's permanent collection. I flipped Balai's catalog for months to select the best. 

Lets make the painting alive. I love things that is animated. Hoessein Enas's figurative strokes is one of my favourites. Full bodied woman and the warmth pallete which reflects our tropical country is what i love the most in Memetik Daun Tembakau in Kelantan, we have the prettiest girl ( in red ) doesnt look directly to the us ( the audience ) maybe she is shy but what makes it nice is - she is aware that people are looking at her. 

adorable.


 bsvn GIF
Mohd.Hoessein Enas
Memetik Daun Tembakau di Kelantan
1962, Cat Minyak

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balai Seni Negara's Treasures

The Final Lesson by Syed Ahmad Jamal

Woke Shit